Tuesday 26 November 2013

Review of Britney Spears' "Britney Jean"

For Britney fans, the two year wait is over as Britney Jean has been released on iTunes! Despite the release date being in early December, eager listeners are able to preview the tracks and for those of us cheeky enough, leaked tracks are available from dark corners of the internet. 

As a major Britney fan, I was fully expecting Britney Jean to be similar to Blackout and Femme Fatale- full of club bangers, but lacking soul and the old Brit we loved in Baby One More Time. I couldn't have been more mistaken as it seemed that (just like she promised) these tracks contain a surprising amount of heart, for a star that seems to keep a lot close to her chest. 




Tracklist 
1. "Alien"  
2. "Work Bitch"  
3. "Perfume"  
4. "It Should Be Easy" (featuring will.i.am
5. "Tik Tik Boom" (featuring T.I.)
6. "Body Ache"  
7. "Til It's Gone"  
8. "Passenger"  
9. "Chillin' with You" (featuring Jamie Lynn)
10. "Don't Cry"  

For those who love 'Old Britney'

Alien

What a track to open on. Electro pop definitely works to Britney's advantage and I love this mid-tempo track that depicts a person feeling lonely in the world they live in. It's not the first time she has based something on outer space- remember that amazing Oops! video? 

Perfume

The second single to be released, I LOVE perfume. Again this one is mid-tempo but still packs a punch and it's all about Britney's vocal skills, something Ive been waiting yearsss for. 

Passenger

I love the mystical lead-in to this track, and again, so much of old Britney here which made me very happy. The song is all about letting go of self control and it's definitely a feel-good bubblegum pop track, listen out for the fabulous high notes. 

Don't Cry 

This one was my favourite, by far. I loved the '80s style keyboard action and I loved hearing a less auto-tuned Britney and it just reminded me of her first album. Total nostalgia with this track, it's been on repeat ever since. 

The Club Bangers

Work Bitch

First single to be released, Work Bitch has already proven itself to be a hit- addictive and motivating in many ways. See the proof below !

It Should Be Easy ft. Will.i.am 

This one has to be my least favourite track on the album, simply because I think Will.i.am autotuned Spears to his level, to keep them on equal ground. There is nothing wrong with a bit of tuning but this is slightly robotic. A massive tune though and the chorus is definitely a dance hit. 

Til It's Gone

With a cheeky addition of dub, this track is crazy and definitely rivals the likes of Avicii and David Guetta. The song is all about loss, about belonging and having it taken away- deep for a dance track, kudos to Britney. 
Listen to the whole album on itunes! 


Feel-good album of the year, I give Britney Jean   
★     




2 comments:

  1. Ah, the new perfume single! I love her to death but I wasn't really a fan.. After getting my groove on to work b*tch, Scream n shout, etc.. this fell a little flat.. :( All that aside, love your reviews! The best! xoxo :)

    Lisa,xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get what you mean, they have a totally different vibe. I'm guessing you were a big fan of Blackout? Thanks for reading Lisa!

      Delete